By Jim Taylor, Editor MACS ACTION Magazine
In our “Somebody really pays attention to this stuff” department, we find a news release from Ford of Europe identifying the company’s most popular 2010 product colors by national markets.
The release noted that color trends, like fashion, change year to year. For example, they say, a small but growing number of buyers are choosing brown, copper and other earth tones but it took people a while to warm up to these. Those colors (“colours”) had previously been perceived as old fashioned but as they become popular again in clothing and furnishings, the comeback also crosses into automotive.
Ford says it uses this data for product planning and inventory control – having the right cars in the right markets – and to spot emerging trends. A spokesman said “Identifying rising trends and selecting signature colors are a big part of what we do, and we know how important it is to get the right color into the market at the right time. Too early and it won’t have registered on the customers’ radar, too late and the popularity of a particular color will have already reached its peak.”
He also noted the attention being drawn by the company’s “striking new colors” – including Candy Yellow, Mars Red and Tangerine Scream – being used on several new products.
Remembering that this data applies only to Ford products sold in 2010, and that there may be unidentified color variants within lines (light blue and dark blue, for example) here are some high points from the survey.
* InTurkey, nearly half of new buyers choose white (49%), but inFranceit was only 27%. The French were the largest purchasers of cream-colored vehicles.
* Black vehicles were the most popular inDenmarkand accounted for more than one-third of all sales.Norwaywas second (31.6%) followed byPortugalandGermanyalmost tied for third at about 26%.
* Generally white, silver and black were the top three acrossEuropeexcept in theCzech Republicwhere blue tops the list at 24.5% of sales.
* Romaniaand Great Britainalso like blue cars at sales levels of 21.9% and 19.7% respectively.
*Swedentopped the list for buyers of orange vehicles, while Ford dealers inSpainshifted 12.5% of their sales in red.
* 37% of Ford’s sales inIrelandwere silver. Almost 21% of vehicles sold inBelgiumwere gray and another 9% were red.
When having your mobile A/C system professionally serviced, insist on proper repair procedures and quality replacement parts. Insist on recovery and recycling so that refrigerant can be reused and not released into the atmosphere.
If you’re a service professional and not a MACS member yet, you should be, click here for more information.
You can E-mail us at email@example.com or visit http://bit.ly/cf7az8 to find a Mobile Air Conditioning Society member repair shop in your area. Visit http://bit.ly/9FxwTh to find out more about your car’s mobile A/C and engine cooling system.
The 32nd annual Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS) Worldwide Convention and Trade Show will take place January 18-20, 2012 at the Rio All Suite Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, NV.